How to use a webcam as CCTV


I got an old Logitech QuickCam from my sister as show in the photo above and never used for any purpose.Until I heard about CCTV from my neighbor “How to use a webcam as CCTV?“He means it can be used as video recorder for surveillance in areas which he needs monitoring and he want to see that video later. After searching for this question on the internet I found many solutions.Most of the answers recommended to use 3rd party software or components and programming skills are required. However, I found a solution which I think it is cheap and simple to solve this question by using Windows Media Encoder provided by Microsoft and it free.


Here is step by step how to use a webcam as CCTV
1. Download Windows Media Encoder 9 and install into your computer.
2. Launch Windows Media Encoder by Start=>Programs=>Windows Media=>Windows Media Encoder
3. You will see New Session window as show in the figure below, in Wizards tab select Broadcast a live event then click OK


4. In the New Session Wizard=>Device options window as show in the figure below, in this window you need to select your devices to use for encoding video and audio, then click next.


5. In the New Session Wizard=>Broadcast Method window as show in the figure below select Pull form the encoder then click.








6. In the New Session Wizard=>Broadcast Connection window as show in the figure below, insert HTTP port number that to be used for access the stream via LAN or Internet.If you are not sure this port number is used by other applications or not press Find Free Port button.Then click next button.In addition, in this window you will get the URL for Internet and LAN connections that provide to you or users to monitor this webcam.In this article it is
http://192.168.1.2:8080


7. In the New Session Wizard=>Encoding Options window as show in the figure below,You need to set the audio and video quality, remember that high quality requires more hard drive space.In the below figure is default value.Then click next.

8.In the New Session Wizard=>Archive File window as show in the figure below,click on Archive a copy of the broadcast to file then browse the folder for keep archive file and enter the name of file.Then click Finish.
Finally,you will see the window as show in the figure below.


Then click start encoding ,the software will start recording audio and video.Now I have my own CCTV system for use in my home.When I want to see the recorded video, I just open the video file that I mentioned above and also I can view this video streaming via LAN but I have no idea how to view this video streaming via Internet with the URL above(http://198.162.1.2:8080/).If I know,I will write again in my new post.

0 comments :

+